In our fast lives today, almost nobody has the time to cook on slow cookers. Yet, at times these traditional methods of cooking are great fun and a real good change from the daily chores.
Often known as the dust collector, these can be one among the most useful items of our kitchen. Here are some simple ideas to use the crock pots or slow cookers more effectively.
1. The idea is that the size of the roasts must be apt for the crock pot. In case the pieces are too big and you try to stuff them in to the crock pot forcibly, the cooking won’t be as effective or might take rather more time. This is one of the most commonly used tips for crock pot cooking.
2. While cooking poultry, remove the skin. In case of the other meats, trim the excess fats before cooking. This way, you can add to the taste by reducing the greasy flavor and as the finished meal would have lesser fats, it would be rather healthy to consume.
3. Crock pot cooking can also become tastier with the help of vegetables. Carrots, onions, potatoes, and other fresh root vegetables can be placed at the container’s bottom, under the meat. This way these vegetables can be cooked better as they take more time to cook as compared to meat.
4. Now let’s talk about the liquids. When you are thickening the sauces, just while the process is near to end, turn on to high heat. Make sure to taste the liquid once, so that it is assured that it has got enough time to be cooked and become flavorful. In case it still lacks the flavor, allow the dish to simmer at low heat for some time.
5. Remember crock pot cooking often dilutes the flavor over long time intervals. So be careful while choosing the seasoning to add and check when to add the same. Before removing the container make sure that you taste the dish for seasoning. Seasonings such as seasoned salt & pepper, garlic powder, and complementary herbs & spices are good options to be added and this must be done at almost the end of the cooking procedure.
6. Also remember that slow cooking mars the colors of food. In order to make the food more presentable, try adding some garnishes like chopped fresh tomatoes, parsley, chives, green or red peppers. Do these towards the end of your cooking process.
7. Another advice that we can offer is to buy cook books dedicated to slow cookers. These books are a great compilation of delicious recipes and simple tips & tricks to make the cooking more fun. You can do this online as well, that is on the World Wide Web or the internet.
Once you start relishing these slow cooked, dishes these would seem like a treat to the entire family.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.